Friday, December 19, 2008

Confirmed Diagnosis

After visiting the University of Minnesota and our local vet, it seems clear that Dexter does indeed have cancer. We have been working with our local vet to make him as comfortable as possible during this time and he will be starting steroids immediately to help him feel better. Our vet thinks that he may have another 6-8 weeks depending on how the cancer reacts to the steroid treatments, but eventually the cancer will beat the steroids and "take over". While Colin and I are really struggling, we know that all we can do is make him comfortable and give him all the love we can for the next few weeks. Looking back on the past few months (and his entire life), I feel like I continue to question if I should have noticed something earlier. It wouldn't have necessarily made a difference, but it has become obvious over the past few months that he has lost weight. I guess when you are in the thick of something, it's harder to notice what you aren't looking for. I just keep thinking back to how much fun he had at the King cabin in August - and now he seems to get tired just walking a little ways down the street. As you all know, he is an extremely finicky eater that I have always cooked for, and this was because he never had a strong stomach and had a hard time eating. Now that we know he has lymphoma that has infected his intestines, it makes a lot more sense why he was a picky eater.